It’s a fact. Even though sufferers must still observe a complete agenda of treatment to stop the internal condition that causes heartburn, there are many folk remedies that will significantly alleviate its symptoms. But will folk remedies help to prevent heartburn? For many victims of heartburn despairing over the ineffectiveness of conventional medicine (typically only providing temporary relief at the price of side effects), the question is whether folk remedies can have more effect.
Infrequent (perhaps once a week) heartburn may happen to anyone. Chronic heartburn however immediately raises the question of GERD - gastro esophageal reflux disease, also known simply as acid reflux. Heartburn, symptom of GERD, is as its name suggests, a burning pain in the esophagus just below the breastbone.
Usually, the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) opens only to let foodstuffs into the stomach and then shuts before stomach acid can reflux into the esophagus. It is when the LES activates randomly or fails to fully close, that acid splashes back into the esophagus, attacking the lining and triggering the burning sensation of heartburn, a symptom of GERD. GERD is really a mechanical problem. It is the weakness of the LES that encourages acid reflux up into the esophageal passage from the stomach.
The problem of the strength being sapped from the LES can come about for a number of reasons. Genetically inherited traits, bad sleep habits, obesity, stress and the wrong diet can all contribute. These are the real causes that must be treated rather than just the symptoms if lasting relief is to be achieved from heartburn. Because the weakness of the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) is a major trigger, just like the excess of acidity in the stomach, what must be targeted are the lifestyle, dietary and medical underlying causes. It should be noted that extra acidity can also be brought on not only by certain types of diet and lifestyle, but also by Candida infection.
Scientific studies done not long ago indicate that traditional remedies may well be effective. Folk remedies to deal with GERD have been in existence for much longer that modern medicinal treatments. Examples of traditional cures that have been found helpful in reduce heartburn are:
1. Lowering the foot of your bed. A 6 to 8 inches difference will limit the upward flow of gastric acid and spare your esophagus.
2. In order to position your esophagus to be higher than your stomach in bed, sleep on your left side. The disposition of the stomach (towards the left) and the esophagus entering it from the right will reduce the reflux of acid.
3. Because honey reduces inflammations in general, intake of a small amount of honey (in its natural state) will also bring alleviation to the esophagus. This is due to its antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
4. Green tea aids digestion and helps to restore the right acid/alkali balance. The effect is heightened with Ginseng.
5. Eat more but smaller meals per day. Smaller meals are easier to digest and allow you to eat more slowly, this decreasing any potential overload on your digestive system.
6. Drink water after you’ve finished one meal and before you begin the next one. Mineral water in particular can help to re-establish the acid alkaline balance in your digestive tract.
Remember however although that folk remedies may be good to reduce symptoms, they are just one part of a full, holistic plan which is what it takes to really treat and prevent heartburn.
Did anyone tell you about the real way to banish heartburn that causes you pain today and that could be gone tomorrow by the application of holistic, 100% natural remedies that also include traditional and effective folk cures?
Jeff Martin is a medical researcher, certified nutritionist, health consultant and author of the #1 best-selling e-book, “Heartburn No More- Open The Door To an Acid Reflux Free Life”. Jeff has written dozens of holistic health articles and has been featured in ezines and print magazines, as well as on hundreds of websites worldwide.
To Learn More About Jeff Martin´s Unique 5-Step Holistic Acid Reflux Cure System Visit: Heartburn No More.
For further information visit: Home Remedy For Heartburn